Assessment of diabetic control:
- Any episodes of hypoglycaemia, diabetic ketoacidosis, hospital admission?
- Is there still awareness of hypoglycaemia?
- Absence from school? School supportive of diabetes care?
- Interference with normal life?
- HbA1c results — 58 mmol/mol (7.5%) or less?
- Diary of blood glucose results — if monitoring, is he reacting to results?
- Insulin regimen — appropriate? Correction bolus doses given?
- Lipohypertrophy or lipoatrophy (Fig. 25.6a and b) at injection sites?
- Diet — healthy diet, manipulating food intake and insulin to maintain good control?
General overview (periodic):
- Normal growth and pubertal development, avoiding obesity — measure each visit
- Blood pressure check for hypertension yearly (age-specific centiles)
- Renal disease — screening for microalbuminuria yearly from 12 years
- Eyes — photography for retinopathy or cataracts, yearly from 12 years
- Feet — maintaining good care — yearly
- Screening for coeliac and thyroid disease at diagnosis, thyroid screening yearly, coeliac again after 3 years or if weight gain poor.
- Annual reminder to have flu vaccination
#diabetes #primarycare #DM1 #Peds #Pediatrics #Assessment