Terminology Around Gender Identity and Expression
• Gender identity - A person's deeply held sense of being a man, a woman, some of both, or neither (nonbinary). Gender identity is self-defined and cannot be by others.
• Gender expression - The manner in which a represents their gender identity through speech, mannerisms, and/or clothing.
• Cisgender - A person whose gender identity matches their sex assigned at birth.
• Transgender - A person whose gender identity is different from their sex assigned at birth.
• Transgender man/transmasculine person - A person whose sex assigned at birth was female who now identifies as male.
• Transgender woman/transfeminine person - A person whose sex assigned at birth was male who now as a female.
• Gender nonbinary/genderqueer/gender diverse/third gender - A person who does not identify as male or female or experiences their gender outside the traditional gender binary.
• Gender fluid - A person whose gender identity is not static and can change over time.
• Sexual orientation - A person's physical, romantic, or sexual attraction to others.
• Gay - A man attracted to other men. Some women who are attracted to other women also use this term.
• Lesbian - A woman attracted to other women.
• Bisexual - A person who is attracted to more than 1 gender.
• Pansexual - A person who is attracted to a person regardless of their gender identity.
• Queer - An umbrella term that may used in place of almost any of the above terms or to indicate all of them collectively (while this term is used widely to self-identify, some individuals still perceive it as a slur).
- EB Medicine @EBmedicine
#Terminology #transgender #Identity #Expression #definitions #nomenclature #lgbtq