Supportive & Palliative Care Indicators Tool (SPICT)
The SPICT is used to help identify people whose health is deteriorating. Assess them for unmet supportive and palliative care needs. Plan care. Look for any general indicators of poor or deteriorating health.
- Unplanned hospital admission(s).
- Performance status is poor or deteriorating, with limited reversibility. (eg. The person stays in bed or in a chair for more than half the day.)
- Depends on others for care due to increasing physical and/or mental health problems. The person’s carer needs more help and support.
- The person has had significant weight loss over the last few months, or remains underweight.
- Persistent symptoms despite optimal treatment of underlying condition(s).
- The person (or family) asks for palliative care; chooses to reduce, stop or not have treatment; or wishes to focus on quality of life.
Look for clinical indicators of one or multiple life-limiting conditions.
#Diagnosis #Geriatrics #PalliativeCare #SPICT #Tool #Risk #Death #Deteriorating #Indicators