Timeline for Progression of T2WI and DWI Findings in Acute Stroke
- In the acute phase T2WI will be normal, but in time the infarcted area will become hyperintense.
- The hyperintensity on T2WI reaches its maximum between 7 and 30 days. After this it starts to fade.
- DWI is already positive in the acute phase and then becomes more bright with a maximum at 7 days.
- DWI in brain infarction will be positive for approximately for 3 weeks after onset (in spinal cord infarction DWI is only positive for one week!).
- ADC will be of low signal intensity with a maximum at 24 hours and then will increase in signal intensity and finally becomes bright in the chronic stage.
#Stroke #CVA #MRI #Interpretation #Progression #Timeline #Neurology #Radiology #Findings #Evolution