Metabolic Acidosis with Anion Gap - KILU Mnemonic
K - Ketoacidosis
- With normal glucose, ask if on SGLT2 inhibitor.
- Eugylcyemic ketoacidosis in SGLT2 inhibitors and SGLT2 deficiency mutation
• Alcohol ketoacidosis
- 10% have -ve urine ketones (their ketone is B-hydroxy butyrate)
I - Ingestions: ethylene glycol methanol (for those, check osm gap, & alcohol level salicylates (+ resp alkalosis}, APAP (rare in lit), iron (pediatric), paraldehyde
L - Lactate.
• Type A = tissue hypoxia (e.g. shock, dying gut/limb).
• Type B = lymphoma or leukemia or drug that results in lactate build-up, Beri-Beri, NRTl's, linezolid
U - Uremia. The anion is phosphate typically.
#KILU #Mnemonic #AnionGap #Metabolic #Acidosis #diagnosis #differential